Birth Related Injuries Lawyer
A “birth injury” or “birth trauma” typically refers to labor and delivery injuries that are sustained by a newborn. These devastating injuries can range from mild to severe, and from minor bruising to permanent nerve damage. When a doctor, nurse, or health care professional makes an error during labor and delivery, permanent and life-threatening birth injuries can occur. These injuries can lead to a lifetime of disability, pain, and even premature death.
Types of Birth Injuries
Some common birth injuries include:
- Bruising and forceps marks on the face or head, lacerations or bruising from vacuum extraction, or in severe cases, depressed skull fractures from forceps
- A red band around the irises of the baby’s eyes referred to as subconjunctival hemorrhage
- Caput succedaneum, or temporary swelling of the baby’s scalp most often attributed to vacuum extraction
- Cephalohematoma, which is bleeding between a bone and its fibrous covering, usually seen on a baby’s head that can sometimes become jaundice
- Facial paralysis caused by pressure on the baby’s face, usually from the use forceps during childbirth. Severe damage may require surgery to repair.
- Brachial Palsy injury, also called Erb’s Palsy and Klumpke’s Palsy, is a condition where the group of nerves responsible for arm and hand movement becomes injured. Mild cases usually clear up in about three months; more severe cases may require surgery or physical therapy.
- Fractured bones, most commonly the collarbones.
- Brain injuries can result due to oxygen deprivation from blood loss, or compression and twisting of the umbilical cord.
- Shoulder dystocia
Birth injuries are more common when there are difficulties during delivery. Factors that can complicate delivery include, the baby’s size and position, prolonged labor, and the size and shape of the mother’s pelvis.
Birth Injuries & Medical Malpractice
Sadly birth injuries are often caused, or worsened, by medical errors. Medical errors during labor and delivery can include:
- Failure to anticipate birth complications
- Delay in ordering cesarean section
- Failure to respond to umbilical cord entrapment
- Misuse of the forceps/vacuum extractor
- Poor care of the baby following delivery
- Delay in attending to an infection
- Failure to monitor baby and/or mom appropriately
- Too much medication for mom
- Wrong medication given
- Improperly administered epidural
- And more
Costs of Medical Malpractice
Birth injuries can be devastating for newborns and their loved ones. Severe birth injuries, which result in permanent disabilities, can also be financially devastating for families. Costs of medications, therapy, rehabilitation, assistive devices, special schooling, and other unexpected costs can add up quickly. It has been estimated that caring for a child with Erb’s Palsy could cost more than a million dollars over the course of the child’s life. No one can be prepared for expenses like these.
If a birth injury has caused harm to your child, due to an error by a doctor or nurse, you have legal rights that should be protected. The North Miami Beach birth injury attorneys
at the Law Offices of Victor Dante have secured compensation for many families in Florida whose lives have been forever altered by a birth injury.
Contact Miami Birth Injury Attorneys
If your child has been injured during labor and delivery and you suspect medical malpractice
may be to blame, you need an experienced North Miami Beach birth injury lawyer on your side. You may be eligible to file a medical malpractice claims against the negligent doctor, nurse, or medical professional. At the Law Offices of Victor Dante, our lawyers have successfully represented numerous families in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach, or anywhere in the State of Florida in their quest for justice. Contact
the Law Offices of Victor Dante to learn more about all of your legal options. Call us at 1-888-920-HURT or 305-949-2526
today to discuss your case.