Understanding Motorcycle Accident Dynamics in Miami
Miami is one of the best places in the United States to ride a motorcycle. After all, it offers year round motorcycle riding weather and beautiful ocean views. If you are a motorcyclist in Miami, it is important to understand the dangers you face and the dynamics that are involved in a motorcycle accident.
Across the United States, the number of fatalities from motorcycle crashes was actually down slightly from 2012 with 4,986 deaths to 2013 with 4,668 deaths. Injuries from motorcycle accidents were also slightly down—93,000 in 2012 and 88,000 in 2013. Even so, a motorcyclist is at least 25 times more likely to die in a crash than the driver and passengers in the automobile involved in the accident. America is edging toward nine million motorcycles on the roadways annually.
There are many reasons for motorcycle crashes in Miami, as well as for the high fatality rate among motorcyclists. Not only is a motorcyclist much less protected than those in an automobile, he or she is also much less visible to other motorists. Riding a motorcycle in Miami requires different mental and physical skills than those used to operate a vehicle and many motorcyclists have little experience or training before they take to the road. Miami motorcyclists are also much more vulnerable to road and weather conditions than those in an automobile.
Motorcycle crashes in Miami and throughout the United States can be caused by any one of the following, or by a combination:
- Impaired driving—in 2012, 27% of all motorcyclists involved in fatal collisions tested over 0.08% BAC.
- The use of motorcycle helmets is down now that wearing a helmet is no longer mandatory in many states. The helmet use rate for motorcyclists with BACs over 0.08% who were killed in traffic collisions was 45% in 2012.
- Speed really does kill—in 2012, 34% of all motorcyclists involved in a fatal crash were speeding.
- One out of every four motorcyclists involved in a fatal motorcycle crash did not have a valid driver’s license.
- Motorcyclists who ride “super sport” motorcycles have nearly four times the death rate than drivers of other motorcycle types. Super sport motorcycles can reach speeds as high as 190 mph.
The Complexities of Motorcycle Accident Reconstruction in Miami
Specific dynamics must be addressed after a Miami motorcycle accident, in order for the motorcyclist to receive the compensation he or she deserves. Your Miami lawyer must possess specific skills and experience to build and prepare a successful motorcycle accident injury case. After a Miami motorcycle accident, motorcycle accident reconstruction is often necessary to show the speeds of the vehicles involved, as well as to identify other relevant factors.
Motorcycle accidents tend to be more complicated to reconstruct. The person who reconstructs a motorcycle accident must have a solid understanding of how motorcycles respond to the rider’s maneuvers. Most reconstructions will work in reverse chronological order to the time immediately prior to the accident.
The general phases of a motorcycle accident reconstruction in Miami include:
- The perception-reaction phase comes before the actual accident. Generally it takes a motorcyclist from 1.1 to 1.5 seconds to recognize the specific hazard, make a determination on a course of action, and implement those actions.
- The avoidance phase is the process during which the motorcyclists makes a decision as to whether to swerve or apply the brakes.
- Pre-impact sliding occurs when the brakes on the motorcycle are overused. The front and/or rear wheels lock resulting in a crash.
- The impact phase occurs when the motorcyclist collides with another object, whether another vehicle or a stationary object.
- Post-impact motion refers to the time when the motorcyclist and the motorcycle separate and travel independently.
There are many more examples of how motorcycle accident dynamics are different from automobile accident dynamics. Few Miami police officers are experienced in the investigation of motorcycle accidents. Therefore having a Miami motorcycle accident attorney on your side that has significant experience and knowledge regarding motorcycle accidents is essential.
If you or someone you love has recently been injured in a motorcycle accident in Miami, we can help. Contact the Law Offices of Victor Dante today for a free initial consultation and review of your case.